Lopata Plaza is located between Brown Hall and Goldfarb Hall.
Stanley Lopata was a 1935 Washington University College of Arts & Sciences graduate. Founders of Carboline Corporation, Mr. and Mrs. Lopata grew the basement chemical laboratory into a $46 million business. Together, they have been longtime friends of the University, and especially the School of Engineering. Other memorials to them on campus are Lopata Hall, Lopata House, the Lopata Classic, a men's basketball tournament held every fall, and Lopata Courtyard.