Remote Access Guideline
This guideline covers the handling of confidential and/or protected information from remote computers. It applies to remote workstations that can be used to access confidential and/or protected information.
- Remote devices need to have up-to-date patches, anti-virus software, anti-spyware and the firewall turned on.
- Remote connection should be provided through encrypted virtual private network (VPN) software.
- Remote access mechanism such as GoToMyPC or LogMeIn must be reviewed and approved by the school or department prior to use.
Accessing confidential and/or protected information
When accessing confidential or protected information remotely, it is the user’s responsibility to ensure the security of the data that is viewed or printed.
- Keep information secure from other people, be mindful of non-authorized people eavesdropping
- Do not copy protected information to the remote machine
- If the user remotely prints confidential or protected information, he or she should place the printed information in a secure area, e.g. locking drawer or file cabinet.
- When the user is through with printed material, it needs to be shredded
- Lock the computer if it is necessary to leave it unattended
- Log off the computer when finished with remote session
- Use laptop cables to secure the device
Updated April 1, 2013.