Construction on the Adolphus Busch III Laboratory of Biology began in 1957. The lab was dedicated on May 5, 1959 in honor of Adolphus Busch III. The building's primary architect was Fred Hammond. Built as an extension to Rebstock Hall, the Lab is three stories high, but only about 11,000 square feet. The hall helps to house the Department of Biology.
Adolphus Busch III was the brother of August A. Busch Jr. and the grandson of Adolphus Busch, founder of the Anheuser-Busch Companies. Adolphus Busch III became vice president of the Anheuser-Busch enterprises in his early twenties. Later, he was elected president of the Anheuser-Busch companies February, 1934. In response to troubles his father faced during prohibition, Adolphus Busch III diversified the Anheuser-Busch products by integrating yeast manufacturing into their business, making the company one of the largest yeast producers in America. In 1937 he donated $25,000 to the Red Cross for flood relief. Adolphus Busch III died August 29, 1946 at the age of 55.
Funding for the construction of the Adolphus Busch III Laboratory of Biology included $200,000 from the Anheuser-Busch Charitable Trust which paid for over half of the buildings cost, and an additional $150,000 given by the National Institutes of Health. August A. Busch Jr. was the principal motivator in having the Anheuser-Busch Charitable Trust donate the money towards Washington University in memory of his brother. August Busch was a prominant philanthropist in St. Louis. In 1953, August Busch convinced the Anheuser-Busch company purchase the St. Louis Cardinals for $3,750,000 to prevent the club from being purchased by an out of town group forcing the club to move. He also donated the old Cardinals stadium to the Herbert Hoover Boys' Club of St. Louis in January, 1966. He formally retired in 1975 but was still active at Anheuser-Busch and with the St. Louis Cardinals. August A. Busch Jr. died September 29, 1989 at the age of 90.