Built in 1963, Rutledge House was dedicated in 1965. The house contains suites for sophomore, junior, and senior students. Each suite features a common room, bathroom, and balcony. On the ground floor, there is a dance studio where students practice a variety of styles of dance.
Thomas G. Rutledge was born in October of 1917 and received his B.A. from Yale University in 1940. For the following two years, he work in the sales, advertising, and production department of Anheuser-Busch, Inc. During World War II, he served as a carrier-based aircraft pilot for the U.S. Navy, and enrolled in the Washington University Law School upon leaving the Navy. He received his LL. B in 1948 and joined the lawfirm of Lashly, Lashly, and Miller.
Following Rutledge's death, James S. McDonnell, Chairman of the Board of the McDonnell Aircraft Corporation and President of the Board of Directors of Washington University, donated one million dollars, part of which was in honor of his businesss associate, Thomas Rutledge.